The World’s Most Advanced Network Operating System
Arista Extensible Operating System (EOS®) is the core of Arista cloud networking solutions for next-generation data centers and cloud networks. Cloud architectures built with Arista EOS scale to hundreds of thousands of compute and storage nodes with management and provisioning capabilities that work at scale. Through its programmability, EOS enables a set of software applications that deliver workflow automation, high availability, unprecedented network visibility and analytics and rapid integration with a wide range of third-party applications for virtualization, management, automation and orchestration services.
Arista EOS is a fully programmable and highly modular, Linux-based network operation system, using familiar industry standard CLI and runs a single binary software image across the Arista switching family. Architected for resiliency and programmability, EOS has a unique multi-process state sharing architecture that separates state information and packet forwarding from protocol processing and application logic.
- Scale to your needs, from 100 to 100,000+ compute and storage nodes
- Resilient and proven software operating system based on the publish / subscribe state sharing foundation and evolving to NetDB for a network-wide software infrastructure for centralizing and streaming network state for improved visibility analytics
- Open, standards-based design approach with MLAG at Layer-2, ECMP at Layer-3 with effective use of all available bandwidth in non-blocking modes while providing failover and resiliency
- Network virtualization using overlay technologies such as VXLAN for seamless workload mobility network segmentation, and application extension
- Offering numerous programmability options Arista EOS enables programmatic control of the network.
- Rich, well-structured set of APIs, including:
- eAPI JSON based RPC, providing a REST-like interface using native CLI commands
- OpenConfig, Go, Python and Ruby based object models
- Native Go and Python on box scripting
- Develop native high performance applications using EOS SDK
- Native Linux APIs and scripting
- Tight dev-ops integrations with Puppet, Chef and Ansible
- Reduce maintenance windows with Arista Smart System Upgrade (SSU) reduces maintenance windows through intelligent insertion and removal of network elements
- Live patching and upgrade of individual processes within EOS during normal switch operation
- Self-healing resiliency for minimum downtime with fault containment to a single module and process restart without the need to rebuild state information
- Custom monitoring, failover and load balancing with third-party integration for custom monitoring, failover and load balancing
- Unprecedented visibility into application performance and network-wide monitoring capabilities for both industry standards and customer specific DevOps solutions
- Simplified TAP Aggregation with the Arista Data Analyzer (DANZ) feature set
- Rapid identification and troubleshooting of application and network performance problems through tracers such as Cloud TracersTM, VM Tracer, MapReduce Tracer, Path Tracer, Health Tracer, Container Tracer, Latency Analyzer (LANZ) and also sFlow monitoring.
- CloudVision platform for automating the workflows of network operations tasks through the portal
- CloudVision for simplified and scalable integration of the physical network with solutions from Arista ecosystem partners, including VMware, OpenStack, Palo Alto Networks, Microsoft, and many others.
- Simplified provisioning for new and replacement switches with Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP) and Zero Touch Replacement (ZTR)
- Advanced Event Management for automated responses to network and application events
- Automate complex IT workflows and simplify network operations to individual requirements through rich programmatic capabilities
- Automation Integration with partners enhance native capabilities with tools such as Puppet, Chef and Ansible and extends automation up the stack to include other network systems and applications including firewalls, load balancers and compute infrastructures with partners such as F5 and VMware.
- Packaged as bundled EOS on Arista switches, Containerized EOS (cEOS), or virtualized EOS (vEOS) for any production or simulation use case and for flexible platform support, including 3rd party hardware
- cEOSTM (Containerized EOS) – Extending cloud automation and operation models for DevOps and NetOps integration and for flexible platform support, including 3rd party hardware
The Arista vEOS Router is a core component of Arista’s Any Cloud Platform. The vEOS Router is Arista’s same, proven single EOS software image, offered as a multi-cloud and multi-hypervisor virtual router. This cloud-grade and feature-rich software platform empowers enterprises and service providers to build consistent, highly secure and scalable cloud networks. Arista vEOS router is designed to support any public or hybrid cloud environment, including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure Cloud, Microsoft Azure Stack, Google Cloud Platform, and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
The vEOS Router leverages existing EOS proven routing capabilities and includes enhancements, such as IPSEC VPN tunnelling, to securely interconnect workloads across multi-cloud deployments. In addition, vEOS Router is integrated with cloud provider APIs to enable seamless deployment, automation, analytics and end-to-end visibility.
Arista vEOS Router fully integrates with Arista CloudVision to simplify the experience of using cloud services by leveraging a network-wide approach for workload orchestration and workflow automation together with network telemetry for hybrid cloud networking. With an unmatched level of consistency, Arista’s customers can reduce their operational costs when deploying the Arista Any Cloud across on-premises enterprise datacenters, private clouds and public clouds.
Arista offers virtualized EOS through two different offerings:
- vEOS Router: Built for production environments, the vEOS Router is optimized for virtual and public cloud environments and is designed to offer multi-gigabit throughput. Please refer to the datasheet for further information
- vEOS-lab: vEOS-lab is meant for simulation and testing purposes. Please refer to the datasheet for further information
Key Platform Benefits of vEOS Router
Highly Available Architecture: Architected for resiliency, EOS has a unique multi-process self-healing state sharing architecture that minimizes downtime with fault containment to a single module and process restart without the need to rebuild state information.
Cloud Grade Routing: Arista vEOS Router delivers a routing stack that is capable of running on a variety of hypervisors and in multiple clouds. With the same proven single EOS software image that runs across all Arista products, vEOS Router extends the consistent operational model from existing datacenter network deployments
DevOps, NetOps and 3rd Party Support: Arista EOS was built with programmability at every layer of the software stack for easy integration and customization. Arista vEOS Router enables the same programmatic control of the network with numerous programmability options. Tighter NetOps/DevOps integration is possible with rich, well-structured set of APIs.
Simplified Management with Monitoring and Reporting: vEOS Router can be managed through Command Line Interface (CLI), APIs, or CloudVision network-wide automation services. It also presents comprehensive logging and diagnostic information that can be monitored using industry-standard tools and NetDB real-time state streaming. It is also fully integrated with cloud-native monitoring and automation solutions.
EOS+ is a software platform for network programmability. EOS+ enables programmatic control of the network with end-to-end solutions, providing customers the ability to automate their network for reduced operational cost and improved responsiveness for managing workloads and workflows. EOS+ offers pre-built applications from Arista and a wide variety of partners with the ability to customize directly or with assistance of Arista EOS Software Consulting services. EOS applications provide complete solutions with support from Arista’s Technical Assistance Center (TAC).
Key Platform Offerings
- Fully TAC supported applications addressing key network automation needs
- Customizable to individual network needs by the customer or with the support of EOS Consulting Services
- Key applications:
- ZTPServer - Enabling zero touch intelligent dynamic end-to-end network provisioning
- EOS Telemetry Suite - Providing targeted data collection with configurable intervals, thresholds, and alerts
- EOS DirectFlow Assist (DFA) for Security Acceleration - Designed to offload or assist an attached in-line or out-of-band security platform such as a firewall
- Leveraging industry recognized experts to help advise and build a Software Driven Cloud Network
- Expert advice and implementation of network focusd DevOps tools and methodologies designed to accelerate business agility
- Onsite or remote EOS-focused development with a team of seasoned network software programmers
EOS Development Environment
- Rich, well-structured set of APIs, including eAPI and Linux APIs, and SDK making all layers programmable
- vEOS, a virtual test environment for EOS, to accelerate application deployment and development
- EOS SDK for direct integration with switch operating system for network applications that require low latency and high performance
- .EOS Architecture Whitepaper
- .cEOS Solution Brief
- .EOS CLI Parser Customizations
- .vEOS Lab Data Sheet
- .vEOS Router Data Sheet
- .EOS Extensibility At-A-Glance
- .Simpliyfing Network Operations through Data Center Automation
- .451 Research: Arista Containerized EOS lets service providers have their DevOps cake and eat EOS, too
- .Products Reference Guide
- .Arista Warrior- First Book on EOS
EOS+ Platform Literature
- .ACE Hands on Training
- .Customer Interface Monitoring: Remote Port Health Manager
- .Arista EOS Roles for Ansible
- .EOS SDK
- .EOS Architecture
- .Installing EOS SDK
- .Building an EOS Agent with EOS SDK
- .Life Cycle of an EOS Agent