The Arista software platforms, EOS and CloudVision, are designed to provide flexibility both in the choice of the appropriate feature functionality and in the software consumption model. The base feature set of Arista EOS comes bundled with the Arista products and systems. A set of feature licenses are available to enable additional functionality in advanced feature sets.
The traditional licensing procurement model employs a perpetual term for the right to use the feature, set at a fixed price. For Arista CloudVision and vEOS Router, the functionality is available as a monthly subscription, for an agreed upon term.
The following diagrams depict the two primary groupings for the advanced feature sets:
Figure 1: Software Procurement Approach
- Routing: General Routing functionality (BGP, Multicast, etc) is available in the E license. The FLX Lite license expands that to include key features like BGP-EVPN for VXLAN. The FLX license is the superset that also includes larger routing tables and MPLS features. See the EOS Platform Licensing tab for specifics.
- Automation/Visibility: CloudVision is the most complete offering for advanced automation and visibility. Arista also offers subsets of that offering with CloudVision Lite, for entry-level GUI functionality, and the Z license for discrete APIs and visibility tools. See the Automation/Visibility tab for specifics. Agility through EOS Extensions and Partner Integration: The V2 license includes capability to run custom extensions natively or via containers in EOS. In addition, the V2 license gives customers an option of integrating with Arista’s best of breed ecosystem for security, analytics, visibility, and other use-cases.
- vEOS Router: This product is a software-based datapath for routing, advanced network telemetry and secure IPSec VPN connectivity in a software-only package for EOS, for virtualized and cloud native deployments. See the vEOS Router tab for specifics.
Arista EOS offers a broad range of advanced features through the feature sets shown in diagram below.
Figure 1: Software license to feature mapping
The following section explains how EOS licenses map to the platforms. The platform mapping model uses a SKU naming convention, subdivided into fixed and modular platforms. The Platform to License SKU mapping is available here.
The EOS licensing for platforms employs a perpetual term for the right to use the feature. The model is subdivided for fixed and modular platforms as follows:
Fixed Switching Platforms
The perpetual license on Arista fixed configuration 1RU and 2RU switches are subdivided based on the various attributes such as chip capacity, system features, port speeds etc. Each of the licenses are subdivided into the four categories
- LIC-FIX-1-X*, LIC-FIX-2-X*, LIC-FIX-3-X* and LIC-FIX-4-X*: Where “X” can be FLX, FLX-Lite, E, V2 or Z licenses
Modular Switching Platforms
EOS licenses for modular switches are based on the total number of linecard slots. Each of the licenses are subdivided into the following categories
- LIC-MOD-1-X*: This licenses features on modular switches with 4 linecard slots
- LIC-MOD-2-X*: This licenses features on modular switches with 8 linecard slots
- LIC-MOD-3-X*: This licenses features on modular switches with 12 linecard slots
- LIC-MOD-4-X*: This licenses features on modular switches with 16 linecard slots
Where “X” can be FLX, FLX-Lite, E, V2 or Z licenses.
1 Gigabit Switching Platforms
EOS licensing for 1G platforms are slightly modified from the other 10G and above platforms. FLX and FLX-Lite licenses are available for 1G platforms, covering a subset of the features available for 10G fixed platforms.
The following licenses are offered as perpetual licenses for 1G platforms:
- LIC-FIX-FLX-1G: Includes route scale (32K-200K routes), EVPN, VXLAN, MPLS and E features
- LIC-FIX-FLX-L-1G: Includes route scale (up to 32K routes), EVPN, VXLAN and E features
- LIC-7048-E: Includes enhanced Layer 3 routing protocols
- LIC-7048-V: Includes Virtualization features
- Z license is included with the base EOS image, providing Network Monitoring and Provisioning features
Figure 1: CloudVision Software Licensing summary
Arista CloudVision is built on a term-based software subscription licensing model. The CloudVision licenses are platform independent, with no mapping to any particular hardware device SKUs. There are two tiers of CloudVision Licenses available - CloudVision and CloudVision Lite. CloudVision the full feature set, including full analytics, telemetry, provisioning, and the Z and V2 features. CloudVision Lite is a subset of the Premier capabilities, providing a functional graphical user interface (GUI) for base visibility and network management. The feature sets for these licenses are defined below in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Mapping of Software features to CloudVision License
EOS offers extensive automation and integration capabilities for customers looking to advanced visibility and automation features directly. . Customers can deploy automation, custom extensions and integrate existing analytics and/or security systems with the Z and ‘V2’ licenses. The feature sets for these licenses are defined below in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Mapping of Software features for the Z and V2 licenses
Figure 1: vEOS Router Software Licensing summary
The following table provides details on vEOS Router license tiers:
Arista vEOS Router Licensing Model
The Arista vEOS Router is based on a monthly subscription licensing model for software-only package of EOS, suitable to run in virtualized or cloud native platforms. It is designed for customers looking to extend/ interconnect cloud environments to on-premise deployments. vEOS Router includes routing and IPSec VPN functionality for secure transport and is tiered with three bandwidth options. For more details, please refer to the datasheet
Arista EOS as Subscription (EaaS) Licensing Model
The Arista EOS as a Subscription (EaaS) licensing is an alternative procurement model from traditional bundled licenses. It is designed for customers looking for OpEx and CapEx payment flexibility.
With Arista EaaS, EOS software is licensed as a monthly subscription. EaaS is available for a limited set of Arista switches, which are available as “hardware-only” items. These hardware-only items include 3 years of Next-Business Day hardware replacement.
EaaS is available as a choice of two feature sets: EaaS and EaaS+CloudVision.
The EaaS License includes all available EOS base and the set of advanced features (Baseline, E, V and Z), and includes 24x7 software A-Care support. This license does not include any additional CloudVision functionality.
The EaaS+CloudVision licenses include all EOS base and advanced features and the completed CloudVision feature set. The EaaS+CloudVision license also includes with 24x7 software A-Care support.
Currently, EaaS is available on following platforms:
The following software license SKUs are available for EaaS
|SS-EOS-Enh-FIX1-1M||EOS Subscription for 1-Month includes EOS E/V/Z/FLX-LITE Licenses and ACare SW for 1RU systems|
|SS-EOS-Enh-FIX2-1M||EOS Subscription for 1-Month includes EOS E/V/Z/FLX-LITE Licenses and ACare SW for 2RU systems|