Security Advisory 0042
Date: October 9th, 2019
|1.0||October 9th, 2019||Initial Release|
The CVE-IDs tracking this issue are CVE-2019-14810.
CVSSv3 Base Score: 5.9 (AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:H)
This advisory is to document a security vulnerability that was identified internally by Arista Networks. Arista has not received evidence of this vulnerability being exploited, as of the date of this update. The vulnerability is in the implementation of the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) protocol in EOS. Under race conditions, the LDP agent can establish an LDP session with a malicious peer potentially allowing the possibility of a Denial of Service (DoS) attack on route updates and in turn potentially leading to an Out of Memory (OOM) condition that is disruptive to traffic forwarding. Affected EOS versions are listed below. Other Arista software products, such as CloudVision, including on-premises and cloud-based wireless services, Access Points, and 7130 MOS software, are not affected.
Establishing an LDP session with a malicious peer can result in the LDP agent crashing. Repeated attempts could potentially lead to a Denial of Service attack on route updates and potentially an out of memory condition.
- 4.22 release train: 4.22.1F and earlier releases
- 4.21 release train: 4.21.0F - 188.8.131.52F, 4.21.3F - 184.108.40.206M
- 4.20 release train: 4.20.14M and earlier releases
- 4.19 release train: 4.19.12M and earlier releases
- End of support release trains (4.18 and 4.17)
Arista platforms that support LDP:
- 7280E/R/R2/R3 series
- 7500E/R/R2/R3 series
An intermediate mitigation is to setup LDP MD5 password configuration on existing sessions.
Configure LDP MD5 passwords on both LDP peers:
Arista(config-mpls-ldp)#copy running-config startup-config
LDP sessions authenticated with MD5 password are protected from this vulnerability.
The vulnerability is tracked by BUG400990 and BUG371998 for EOS. The recommended course of action is to install the provided hotfix or upgrade to a remediated EOS version once available.
Hotfix install instructions:
- The hotfix can be installed as an EOS extension on affected versions (4.17 and later release trains)
- The hotfix restarts the LDP agent and disruption to traffic is limited to just the established LDP sessions. It can take upto 30 seconds for the LDP sessions to re-establish after the installation of the hotfix
Patch file download URL: SecurityAdvisory0042Hotfix.swix
For instructions on installation and verification of EOS extensions, refer to this section in the EOS User Manual: https://www.arista.com/en/um-eos/eos-section-6-7-managing-eos-extensions. Ensure that the extension is made persistent across reboots by copying the installed-extensions to boot-extensions.
The vulnerability is fixed in the following EOS versions:
- 4.23 release train: 4.23.0F and later releases
- 4.22 release train: 220.127.116.11F and later releases
- 4.22 release train: 18.104.22.168F and the next maintenance release after 22.214.171.124M and later releases
- 4.20 release train: Next maintenance release after 4.20.14M and later releases
For More Information:
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this security notice, please contact the Arista Networks Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Open a Service Request:
By telephone: 408-547-5502