Security Advisory 0021
Date: June 13th, 2016
|1.0||June 13th, 2016||Initial release|
Arista Products vulnerability report for security vulnerability announcement from NGINX on May 31st, 2016
It was announced by NGINX on May 31, 2016 that there is a security update for NGINX. This advisory reports the vulnerability assessment for Arista products.
Vulnerability report for EOS and CVP:
EOS is vulnerable to the following:
CVE-2016-4450 (nginx security advisory):
|Software versions||All EOS releases starting with 4.12.0F . The list of affected releases is documented in Table-2.|
|Affected Features||eAPI and Openstack|
|Details||A problem was identified in nginx code responsible for saving client request body to a temporary file. A specially crafted request might result in worker process crash due to a NULL pointer dereference while writing client request body to a temporary file.|
|Resolution||Bug 159252 tracks this vulnerability for EOS. A hotfix patch is available to address this issue. A software fix will be available in upcoming versions for the currently active EOS software trains. This advisory will be updated once the exact SW version is available.|
Patch file download URL: secAdvisory0021.swix
- This hotfix can be installed on all affected versions of EOS.
- Installing the patch will temporarily disrupt nginx and eAPI sessions when applied
- A reload of the switch is not required for the patch to take effect
Instructions to install the patch
1. Download the patch file and copy the file to the extension partition of the switch using one of the supported file transfer protocols:
switch#copy scp://10.10.0.1/secAdvisory0021.swix extension: switch#verify /sha512 extension:secAdvisory0021.swix
Verify that the checksum value returned by the above command matches the provided SHA512 checksum for the file
On modular systems with dual supervisors, download the file to the extension partition of the active supervisor and copy it to the standby supervisor using the following two commands:
switch(s1)(config)#copy extension:secAdvisory0021.swix supervisor-peer:/mnt/flash/ switch(s2-standby)#copy flash:secAdvisory0021.swix extension:
2. Install the patch using the extension command. The patch takes effect immediately at the time of installation.
On modular systems with dual supervisors, the patch has to be installed on the active and standby supervisors:
switch(s1)#extension secAdvisory0021.swix switch(s2-standby)#extension secAdvisory0021.swix
If eAPI is enabled, the eAPI agent or the uwsgi service will restart after the patch has been installed.
3. Verify that the patch is installed using the following commands:
switch#show extensions Name Version/Release Status extension ------------------------------------------ ------------------------- ------ ---- secAdvisory0021.swix 1.6.2/3236644.idburleydev A, I 1 A: available | NA: not available | I: installed | NI: not installed | F: forced
4. Make the patch persistent across reloads. This ensures that the patch is installed as part of the boot-sequence. The patch will not install on EOS versions with the security fix.
switch#copy installed-extensions boot-extensions switch#show boot-extensions secAdvisory0021.swix
5. For dual supervisor systems run the above copy command on both active and standby supervisors:
switch(s1)#copy installed-extensions boot-extensions switch(s2-standby)#copy installed-extensions boot-extensions
AFFECTED EOS RELEASES:
Table-2: Affected EOS releases
|4.16||4.15||4.14||4.13||Older release trains|
|All releases in 4.12*|
|* First EOS release to support eAPI|
Vulnerability report for CloudVision Portal (CVP)
CloudVision Portal is only affected by the following vulnerabilities:
- CVE-2016-4450 (nginx security advisory)
This is tracked by bug 159255 which will be fixed in release 2016.1.1.
For more information on these vulnerabilities please visit:
For More Information:
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this security notice, please contact the Arista Networks Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Open a Service Request:
By email: email@example.com
By telephone: 408-547-5502