Arista Networks, Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results, with Record Earnings
Acquires Mojo Networks for Cloud Networking Expansion
SANTA CLARA, Calif., August 2, 2018 - Arista Networks, Inc. (NYSE: ANET), an industry leader in software-driven, cognitive cloud networking for large-scale datacenter and campus environments, today announced financial results for its second quarter ended June 30, 2018.
Second Quarter Financial Highlights
- Revenue of $519.8 million, an increase of 10.0% compared to the first quarter of 2018, and an increase of 28.3% from the second quarter of 2017.
- GAAP gross margin of 64.2%, compared to GAAP gross margin of 64.1% in the first quarter of 2018 and 64.1% in the second quarter of 2017.
- Non-GAAP gross margin of 64.5%, compared to non-GAAP gross margin of 64.4% in the first quarter of 2018 and 64.4% in the second quarter of 2017.
- GAAP net income of $150.7 million, or $1.86 per diluted share, compared to GAAP net income of $102.7 million, or $1.30 per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2017.
- Non-GAAP net income of $155.7 million, or $1.93 per diluted share, compared to non-GAAP net income of $105.5 million, or $1.34 per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2017.
"Arista is one of the fastest networking companies to achieve a $2 billion annual revenue rate, driven by its industry leadership in software-defined networking,” stated Jayshree Ullal, Arista President and CEO. “In Q2 2018 we comfortably surpassed the $500 million revenue mark with record profitability."
Commenting on the company's financial results, Ita Brennan, Arista’s CFO, said, “The team continues to demonstrate consistent execution, driving healthy revenue growth and earnings expansion.”
Arista Extends the Campus to Cognitive WiFiTM Networking
Arista today also announced that it will acquire Mojo Networks, the inventor of Cognitive WiFi and a leader in cloud-managed wireless networking. The parties expect to close the transaction in Q3 2018. “We are excited about Arista's first acquisition transaction and its significance to Arista's cognitive campus vision. We welcome the Mojo Networks employees to the Arista family.” stated Ms. Ullal.
- Arista Introduces Cognitive Cloud Networking for the Campus encompassing a new network architecture designed to address transitional changes as the enterprise moves to an IoT (Internet of Things) ready campus. Leveraging EOS® and CloudVision®, Arista's Cognitive Cloud Networking approach brings operational consistency and modern cloud principles to the enterprise campus.
- Arista Announces New Multi-function Platform for Cloud Networking. Based on the Barefoot Tofino™ series of P4-programmable Ethernet switch chips, the Arista 7170 Series delivers flexible systems for a multitude of applications across cloud networks.
- Arista was named in the Forbes Global 2000 World’s Largest Public Companies.
- Arista CEO, Jayshree Ullal, named as one of Barron’s World’s Best CEOs: Growth Leaders.
For the third quarter of 2018, we expect:
- Revenue between $540 and $552 million
- Non-GAAP gross margin between 63% to 65%, and
- Non-GAAP operating margin of approximately 32% to 34%
Guidance for non-GAAP financial measures excludes estimated legal expenses of approximately $6 million associated with the OptumSoft and Cisco litigation, stock-based compensation expense, and other non-recurring items. A reconciliation of non-GAAP guidance measures to corresponding GAAP measures is not available on a forward-looking basis (see further explanation below).
Prepared Materials and Conference Call Information
Arista executives will discuss second quarter 2018 financial results on a conference call at 1:30 p.m. Pacific time today. To listen to the call via telephone, dial (833) 287-7905 in the United States or (647) 689-4469 from outside the US. The Conference ID is 8687498.
The financial results conference call will also be available via live webcast on our investor relations website at investors.arista.com. Shortly after the conclusion of the conference call, a replay of the audio webcast will be available on Arista’s Investor Relations website.
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” regarding our future performance, including statements in the section entitled “Financial Outlook,” such as estimates regarding revenue, non-GAAP gross margin and non-GAAP operating margin for the third quarter of fiscal 2018, and statements regarding the benefits from the introduction of new products. Forward-looking statements are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties, assumptions and other factors that could cause actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those anticipated in or implied by the forward-looking statements including risks associated with: Arista Networks’ dispute with Cisco Systems, Inc. including the ITC remedial orders which prohibit the importation of Arista products (or components thereof) into the U.S., or the sale of previously imported products that are covered by those remedial orders, Arista Networks’ ability to redesign its products in a manner not covered by such remedial orders and obtain appropriate governmental approvals for those redesigned products, any penalties assessed by the ITC if Arista’s redesigned products are covered by such remedial orders and Arista Networks’ ability to manage our manufacturing and supply chain including the sourcing of components on commercially reasonable terms; Arista Networks’ limited operating history; Arista Networks’ rapid growth; Arista Networks’ customer concentration; our customer’s adoption of our redesigned products and services; requests for more favorable terms and conditions from our large end customers; declines in the sales prices of our products and services; changes in customer demand for our products and services, customer order patterns or customer mix; the timing of orders and manufacturing and customer lead times; increased competition in our products and service markets; dependence on the introduction and market acceptance of new product offerings and standards; the benefits and impact of acquisitions; rapid technological and market change; the evolution of the cloud networking market and the adoption by end customers of Arista Networks’ cloud networking solutions; Arista Networks’ dispute with OptumSoft; and general market, political, economic and business conditions. Additional risks and uncertainties that could affect Arista Networks can be found in Arista’s most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the SEC on February 20, 2018, and other filings that the company makes to the SEC from time to time. You can locate these reports through our website at http://investors.arista.com/ on the SEC's website at http://www.sec.gov/. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to the company as of the date hereof and Arista Networks disclaims any obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date on which they were made.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
The company reports certain non-GAAP financial measures that exclude stock-based compensation expense, expenses associated with the OptumSoft and Cisco litigation, other non-recurring charges or benefits, and the income tax effect of these non-GAAP exclusions. In addition, non-GAAP financial measures exclude net tax benefits associated with stock-based awards, which include excess tax benefits and other discrete indirect effects of such awards. The company uses these non-GAAP financial measures internally in analyzing its financial results and believes that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures is useful to investors as an additional tool to evaluate ongoing operating results and trends. In addition, these measures are the primary indicators management uses as a basis for its planning and forecasting for future periods.
Non-GAAP financial measures are not meant to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for comparable GAAP net income, net income per diluted share, gross margin, or operating margin. Non-GAAP financial measures are subject to limitations, and should be read only in conjunction with the company's consolidated financial statements prepared in accordance with GAAP. A description of these non-GAAP financial measures and a reconciliation of the company's non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP measures has been provided in the financial statement tables included in this press release, and investors are encouraged to review the reconciliation.
The Company’s guidance for non-GAAP financial measures excludes stock-based compensation expense, expenses associated with the OptumSoft and Cisco litigation, and other non-recurring items. The Company does not provide guidance on GAAP gross margin or GAAP operating margin or the various reconciling items between GAAP gross margin and GAAP operating margin and non-GAAP gross margin and non-GAAP operating margin. Stock-based compensation expense is impacted by the Company’s future hiring and retention needs and the future fair market value of the Company’s common stock, all of which are difficult to predict and subject to constant change. The actual amount of stock-based compensation expense will have a significant impact on the Company’s GAAP gross margin and GAAP operating margin. Accordingly, a reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measure guidance to the corresponding GAAP measure is not available without unreasonable effort.
About Arista Networks
Arista Networks pioneered software-driven, cognitive cloud networking for large-scale datacenter and campus environments. Arista's award-winning platforms redefine and deliver availability, agility, automation, analytics and security. Arista has shipped more than fifteen million cloud networking ports worldwide with CloudVision and EOS, an advanced network operating system. Committed to open standards across private, public and hybrid cloud solutions, Arista products are supported worldwide directly and through partners.
ARISTA, EOS, CloudVision, FlexRoute and AlgoMatch are among the registered and unregistered trademarks of Arista Networks, Inc. in jurisdictions around the world. Other company names or product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. Additional information and resources can be found at www.arista.com.
Product and Investor Advocacy
Tel: (408) 547-5892
Business and Investor Development
Tel: (408) 547-5549
(1) The adoption of ASU 2014-09, Revenue from Contracts with Customers (Topic 606), and ASU 2016-16, Income Taxes (Topic 740): Intra-Entity Transfers of Assets Other Than Inventory, in the first quarter of 2018 resulted in an adjustment to increase the retained earnings balance by $3.6 million as of January 1, 2018.
(1) The adoption of ASU 2016-18, Statement of Cash Flows (Topic 230): Restricted Cash ("ASU 2016-18"), in the first half of 2018 requires the Company to include restricted cash together with cash and cash equivalents when reconciling the beginning-of-period and end-of-period amounts presented on the statements of cash flows. As a result, for the six months ended June 30, 2017, the beginning-of-period and end-of-period amounts increased by $4.2 million and $5.5 million, respectively, and net cash used in investing activities decreased by $1.3 million.
The links above are for the viewer’s convenience, and Arista has not reviewed and is not responsible for their content.