Security Advisory 0033
Date: April 5th, 2018
|1.0||April 5th, 2018||Initial Release|
Affected Platforms: All EOS platforms
Affected Software Version: EOS-4.20.1F release.
The CVE-ID tracking this issue is CVE-2018-5254
CVSS v3: 5.0 CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:N/I:N/A:L
Impact: This advisory is to document a security vulnerability that affects Arista products.
The switch’s Rib agent may restart if a malicious BGP peer sends an UPDATE message containing a malformed path attribute. Such BGP updates are not expected to be received in typical production environments and have to be crafted and sent with the malformed values by a malicious BGP speaker.
There will be a log message when the switch receives such malformed packets prior to the rib agent restarting.
20xx-xx-08T04:27:52.328647+00:00 switch Rib: %BGP-5-UPDATE-ERROR: attribute AS Path in update from peer 18.104.22.168 (AS 65502) is malformed, treating as Withdraw. 20xx-xx-08T04:27:52.328647+00:00 switch Rib: %AGENT-6-INITIALIZED: Agent 'Rib' initialized; pid=10873
It is recommended to configure static BGP neighbors with strong BGP authentication keys to protect against unauthorized BGP peers in sending malformed BGP packets.
BUG 229418 tracks this vulnerability. A fix for this issue is available from SW versions 4.20.2F onwards.
Note: This vulnerability was identified internally by Arista Networks and Arista has not received evidence of this being exploited, as of the date of this update.
Resolution: It is recommended to upgrade EOS to versions with the fix or install the patch provided on affected versions of EOS
Patch file download URL:
Sha256 sum is:
[admin@switch flash]$ sha256sum SecurityAdvisory0033Hotfix.swix
- This hotfix can be installed on the affected versions of EOS.
- A reload of the switch is not required for the patch to take effect
Instructions to install the patch:
- Download the patch file and copy the file to the extension partition of the switch using one of the supported file transfer protocols:
switch#copy scp://10.10.0.1/SecurityAdvisory0033Hotfix.swix extension: switch#verify /sha256 extension:SecurityAdvisory0033Hotfix.swix
- Verify that the checksum value returned by the above command matches the provided SHA256 checksum for the file
- Install the patch using the extension command. The patch takes effect immediately at the time of installation.
- Verify that the patch is installed using the following commands:
switch#show extensions Name Version/Release Status Extension ----------------------------------- -------------------- ----------- --------- SecurityAdvisory0033Hotfix.swix 1.0.0/eng A, I 1
- Make the patch persistent across reloads. This ensures that the patch is installed as part of the boot-sequence. The patch will not install on EOS versions with the security fix.
switch#copy installed-extensions boot-extensions switch#show boot-extensions SecurityAdvisory0033Hotfix.swix
- For dual supervisor systems run the above copy command on both active and standby supervisors:
switch(s1)#copy installed-extensions boot-extensions switch(s2-standby)#copy installed-extensions to boot-extensions
For More Information:
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this security notice, please contact the Arista Networks Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Open a Service Request:
By telephone: 408-547-5502